January 31, 2010

Week 6: Music Success in Nine Weeks - How Big Is Yours?


Hey Sexy People!

Before we jump in... I was having a hard time writing this post because I couldn't figure out how to explain this chapter.  Then it hit me - I hadn't done any of the tasks yet!  ...be right back...

It's week 6 of the Music Success In Nine Weeks blogging contest held by Ariel Publicity Cyber PR.

The size of your email list = the size of your income.

Damn. Um, um.

Another task you must do all of the time! I'm not saying that it's a bad thing nor that I'm not willing to do the task; it's just fucking boring. ;) Ariel gives her take on building our fan list so we can make some money.  I'm with that.

In addition to constantly thinking of who we can add to our list, I scheduled time once a week to sit down and build our email list.  I also had to create, what I'm calling, a "ready-letter" - an email ready to go to potential readers ("form letter" just sounds so impersonal).

Once we get up to a substantially-sized email list, we'll look to list trade with other bands and begin our text message list.  Yeah, texting is hot.

And, of course, we have the requisite "free MP3 when you sign up." 

However, I'm starting to question the effectiveness of this.  In theory, I totally believe it's a good idea.  But, in practice, I'm not finding it effective.  I say this because of the value perception.  What's the value of the MP3 if they don't know you?  I see these offers all over and not once have I signed up for a band's email list because of a free MP3.  I sign up because I like the band.  And if I really like the band, I'm happy to buy their music.

At this level, folks sign up after they see our show or when we get them while we're out networking or promoting.  I continually ask "what value are we providing to this person's life?"  If their perception is nothing, then it won't matter that it costs nothing.

It's like what happens when a band lets folks pay whatever they want for a CD at a show.  They usually end up making more money than if they asked for a set price.  It's about perceived value.  If one values something, they don't mind paying.

Thanks MSi9W!


Rock Hard! Rock Sexy!
- MDLS


Purchase "In Your Mouth"
CD Baby
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mamasdls

iTunes
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/in-your-mouth/id339466720


Mama's Dirty Li'l Secret
Twitter.com/MDLStweet

©2010 Mama's Dirty Li'l Secret

2 comments:

  1. Regarding your free MP3/bribe comment/perceived value statement, you don't necessarily have to offer a free MP3. Put yourself if the shoes of your potential fans and think about what they would value. What could you offer them upfront that they could not possibly turn down?

    Too many musicians view promotion as a chore; be as creative as possible in your promotional approach. It should be just as much fun as making the music itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christopher,
    That's right on! Yes, finding something interesting/wacky enough that they say "What the... I've got to check that out!." Thanks for the inspiration.

    Best,
    The Deacon

    ReplyDelete